Friday, August 18, 2006

State GOP Blesses Sekula-Gibbs for TX CD 22 write-in

The Republican Party of Texas meeting last night ended in an endorsement of Shelley Sekula-Gibbs. Fort Bend Now has an article on the story. I feel like this whole ordeal was poorly handled and I am more disappointed in the process than the outcome. If Mayor Wallace stays in the race, it will be a tough decision in November. If he drops out, I hope he runs in the primary for the next election. He is a good conservative Republican and I wish him the best of luck.

As to the trashing he took from the Sekula-Gibbs camp, thanks to Rhymes With Right I can say that, he did fail to mention that Wallace was buying failing companies to restructure them. When this is what you do, some are going to fail.

What amazes me is that a supposed precinct Chairman (see comments section #7-9 in this article) of Harris county could trash Wallace so badly, show support for the libertarian candidate (see comment 5 in the comments on this article), and now say he has been working on the Sekula-Gibbs campaign. I guess he figures the end justifies the means. I have his web site linked on the left column under “Local Politics and News” and will leave it there as a reminder. Sometimes politics can be very political.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

1) If stating matters that are on the public record constitutes "trashing" someone, then I gladly plead guilty. On the other hand, if being a loyal member of the party means hiding corruption and dishonesty on the part of elected officials, I want nothing of it. I continue to find it interesting that you criticize me for "trashing" David Wallace but fail to point to a single spot where my posts have been inaccurate -- much less flse. But if you think I need to apologize for what I posted, I will "I'm sorry I have spoken the truth about David Wallace."

2) I think Smither is a good man, and I believe that it would have been a legitimate course of action for the GOP to support him. I struggled, -- publicly, as you note -- with the question of whether the best course of ction might be to put the support of the GOP behind him as a way of keeping CD22 out of the hands of a liberal like Nick Lampson. As I said in a number of places "Maybe we should make Bob Smither the first Libertarian party congressman in 2006 -- and the first Libertarian party ex-Congressman in 2008." But since you seem to feel i was wrong to think and say what I did, let me offer this apology -- I am sorry that I had the audacity to think unauthorized thoughts, and to think outside the box (or think at all) with regard to the best course of action to prevent the seat from flling into Democrat hands."

3) Of the entire lot of GOP candidates who emerged after The Virginian decided to "screw, blue and tattoo" CD22 this spring, I believe Shelley was and is the best of the bunch. I worked long and hard this spring and summer to persuade my fellow chairs of that. I am not, however, a member of her campaign staff and hold no official position with her organization -- and my words represent me and my opinions only. I was even prepared to give Wallace a chance -- but he has displayed a sense of arrogance and entitlement from the very moment The Virginian announced his resignation. He has rfused to meet wtih any group which is not dominated by his supporters or at any forum not organized by them. Whether it is the Harris COunty GOP candidate forum in May or the CD22 Executive Committee meeting on Thursday, David Wallace has shown he is unable to face the unconverted and is only willing to preach to the choir -- not a good trait in a candidate for such a highly contested seat. But since you are offended, I'll offer another apology -- "I'm sorry that I have come to expect better of Republican candidates over the course of my quarter century of political activism within the GOP."

Greg
Rhymes With Right
rhymeswithright.mu.nu

3:24 AM  
Blogger John said...

Perhaps I took the statement “I have been working with the Sekula-Gibbs campaign since spring” too literally.

As to the other comments, I will opt for your number one answer above. "If stating matters that are on the public record constitutes "trashing" someone, then I gladly plead guilty."

5:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

And I've got no problem with your taking those public record comments and using them -- and appreciate the integrity you show by allowing my explanation of each of them.

Greg
Rhymes With Right
rhymeswithright.mu.nu

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home