Thursday, September 29, 2005

More Comments on Rita

Here are a few more comments on Rita (mainly so i do not forget). I forgot to mention that we took along a little fire proof lock box with all of the important family papers. I mention this in the event that someone out there is creating a check list. In the back pack that I took along, I had a tent and sleeping bag along with that standard camping gear. We brought our own pillows (seems silly, but it was the wife’s idea). We also had a portable television and I used it some during the traffic jams. The TV is one of those with a radio/weather radio and LED lights. The lights and radio are powered from a little hand cranked generator, but the TV needs an external source of power. I’ve had a Garmin GPS 3+ for years and that was perched on my dashboard so that I know where I was and where I was going at all times.

Now for a few things that I need to do for the next SHTF episode, and I believe I will see another one, here are some items that I need to pick up:

1. Couple of large gas cans.
2. A hitch mounted holder/rack of some sort for the gas cans.
3. MRE’s - If you know of a good online supplier, please leave a comment. I’m studying these. This might be a good deal.
4. Police Scanner (not really necessary, and mostly likely the money is better spent on food).
5. Updated CB Radio. Mine portable was having some antenna problems and is at least 13 years old.

I am reading a lot about the “bug out bag” in various blogs and I suppose my bug out bag is the back packing pack. It is fully loaded and ready to go for one to two or even three person short trip.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best place for research on MRE's is www.mreinfo.com This site has everything you'd ever want to know about MRE's.

I'd suggest you browse the info on the main site and take a look at the forums before you stock up. That will give you a better idea if that Long Life Foods 72 hour kit is a good deal or not.

(Thanks for bringing that to my attention, btw. I'm doing research now to see if I want that kit or if it's more cost effective to buy a full case of 12 MRE's on eBay. I don't know the answer myself either).

6:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thank you for the link. That is a good site for information on MREs. Also, keep me posted on what learn as to what is and isn't a good deal.

I am skeptical on buying dated items on Ebay.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing to remember with MREs is their shelf life goes down with heat i.e. MREs stored at 100ºf (say stored in your car, or in the warehouse where they were stored before you bought them...) only last a month before becoming toxic. (I can't remember if those are the exact numbers but you get the idea)

I would look at "Life Boat Rations" they usually include everything including packets of drinkable water. Because they're designed to be stored on a boat they can survive almost any temp/condition. From what I’ve heard, they're not the tastiest meal out there but you will survive.

I can't the find the link right now but Datrex and Mainstay are the two companies that make them.

Hope this is helpful,
Mschadt

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home