Friday, March 17, 2006

Tactical Tupperware from Beretta

Tactical Tupperware at it’s best. Beretta PX4 Storm Report.

I picked up a Beretta PX4 and though I am partial to Beretta’s and particularly the recently demised Cougar, I will try to be as objective as possible.

For those that do not know, the PX4, I feel, was created by Beretta to compete with Glock and other polymer service guns. The PX4 is to ultimately be offered in DA/SA (F), Constant Action (C), DA/SA with decocker only (G), and DAO (D) triggers (currently DA/SA or F type is the only one available, I think). It is also to be offered in 9mm, .40 S&W, 357 Sig and .45 ACP (currently just in 9mm and .40). Beretta is rumored to be planning a mid-size and/or compact version to complement the full size (4” Barrel) PX4.

The pistol caliber carbine, CX4, can be had to accept the same magazines as the PX4 Pistol.

The one I purchased is a full size 9mm in DA/SA PX4 Storm. The gun has replaceable and different size magazine buttons and back straps, but mine came with medium appendages only. After a quick call to Beretta’s PX4 fulfillment hot line at 888-268-3265, the small and large mag buttons and back straps are on the way at no charge. I fully expect to start seeing pink and blue plastic back straps on sale at mall kiosks everywhere.

The gun came with three 17 round magazines (though most stores only have the 2-Mag box). From what I have determined (empirically), the back strap and entire trigger assembly are easy to remove and replace. Ultimately, one will be able to replace the trigger assembly with whatever action he desires and configure the back strap and magazine button to fit his or her hand size. You can also replace the decocker and slide catch with slim line versions that should make the gun more concealable.

Well that was a little long, but here is a picture showing the back strap and action removed: (and yes, I took the thing apart before ever making it to the range).



The locking system, like the Beretta Cougar, uses a direct barrel to slide lock that rotates the barrel during unlock/recoil. This allows for a lower barrel axis and thus lower perceived recoil. If you've ever shot a Cougar, you'll know what I'm talking about. You .45 guys should try a Cougar 8045 if you ever get the opportunity. You get more push and less muzzle flip with the rotating barrel. In the picture above (although hard to see) you can see the locking block lug that fits to an angled slot in the bottom of the barrel to cause rotation of the barrel.


Picture of the PX4 Storm:



Now for the range report:

Fired 100 rounds of Magtech 115gr round ball 9mm, 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr 9mm, and 20 Rounds of Federal 124gr Hydra Shoks. Zero Failures of any kind (guess I got it back together correctly). With the first magazine I had a nice 3” group that was 2” left of center. Continued shooting left of center and then switched to another gun a little while (not included in round count above). When I switched back, I brought the groups closer to the centerline and even tightened up a little. I had some groups at 2” at 10 yards and a few even tighter when I really concentrated on slow firing. On average, I’d say 2.5” - 3" Groups groups for 10 rounds at 10 yards, and that is not bad for me. The left of center was starting to correct itself and I’m sure it was just me getting use to the trigger, but more range trips are warranted to make sure. I do not want to drift the sights until I get a chance to try the other back straps.

I took the time to disassemble the slide and coat the barrel a couple of times with Militech while the barrel was warm. I find this makes furture cleanings easier and it is suppose to turn into a dry permanent lubricant for the barrel. Do you guys do this? I'm curious.

The trigger is about what you would expect from a DA/SA gun. Although, the double action trigger felt a little gritty. You can feel all of the iternals meshing and rubbing, but that should ease up with use. The single action trigger has the expected take up in this type of gun, but was prefectly fine for my use.

As to the 17 round magazines, all I can say is Ouch! Those puppies are tight and I never did get 17 rounds in any of mags. The most I was able to load in one of the mags was 16, the other two – 14. I plan to load them up and store them loaded for the next range trip, but I fear I may have to pick up a mag loading tool (any recommendations?). I’ve never had a problem loading magazines before, but these guys were really tight.

I plan to make this my nightstand gun. It has luminous sights and as soon as night sights for this gun hit the market, I’ll get some installed. I hope this doesn’t sound too much like a commercial for Beretta, but I think I will enjoy the PX4 Storm. When they come out the the 357sig, I may pick up an extra slide and barrel in that caliber. I know, I know... this was way too long of a post.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jay.Mac said...

Nice review John.

You fitting a light to the rail too, for its nightstand role?

Good to see something new on the blog.

1:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hello Jay.Mac... Not planning a light for the rail at this time. I use a surefire light with thumb switch in the week hand (under the strong hand).

I got pretty fed up with spam being generated from the blog. That is why i haven't been bogging for a while, but i figured a new gun was worth noting here. Good to hear from you.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jay.Mac said...

I'll make sure to check back for more updates!

All the best.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HKS 941 loader works fine for the PX4 9mm.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HKS 941 loader works fine for px4 9mm. Available at Amazon.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

I just bought the Px4 .40 cal version and look so forward to firing it. I am wondering if you have any information on where I might get a pair of "real" night sights for it. I am just not impressed with the factory beretta sights, I never have been. I have a 92fs that I bought in 1996 and that came with crappy sights as well.

Any info you might have would be helpfull. johnedwards07@cox.net

Thanks.

11:54 AM  
Blogger John said...

John E. I believe you can order Trijicons from Beretta, but not from Trijicon. Yet. Those are the only ones I know of.

10:12 AM  
Blogger jimshot said...

John,
I hope that your blog is still alive. I stumbled on it three months ago as I was making a decision on buying a PX4. Lots of help here.

I bought, I fire it & I love it. I carry full time and it fits in a shoulder rig very well.

Being 64 years old with bifocal double vision, I searched for a laser for it and settled on lasermax unimax red laser that fits on the under rail. Great choice. I can consistantly shoot 2" double tap groups @ 10 yards vs. 3 - 4" without. The neat thing is not seeing the gun while putting rounds dead on.

The unimax fits neatly on the under rail. Problem is, you can't find a holster that accepts the extra thickness of the barrel.
I ended up solving my problem at a tactical shop in Austin by accident. After picking the brains of two sales guys, one gave me the "hey, wait a minute", walked back to the warehouse & came back with a Safariland "Quick Gun" sholder rig that my gun fell into and the underside cutout in the gun holder fit the laser perfectly. The rig features a loop spring & muzzle pocket that release very quick. The list on this rig was $70.00. They had declared this style unsellable and first marked it to $35.00 and I walked out with it for $10.00 net.

Any one that wants a perfect carry rig, PX4 Storm in 40 cal. S&W, 14 rounds to shoot, red laser sight, addition rail for light if desired in a leather shoulder rig that will accomodate all of the above, THIS IS IT!!

Thanks to your review, I believe I have the perfect rig for carry. I have a gun case & safe full on nice weapons, but this one is the best I have ever seen.

Take care, I am in Georgetown and would like to meet you some day.

4:51 PM  
Blogger John said...

jimshot... thank you for the kind words. I'm still alive, so i guess the blog is too. I've had a lot going on for the the last, well, last year or so. No time for updates, but I have been thinking about getting back into the blog and may soon.

My PX4 is still going strong. never a single failure. Many times, i will go a few range trips between cleaning just to see how the gun holds up. It's doing quite well I am glad to report. Though the range trips have been further apart lately.

Glad the PX4 40 worked out well for you.

Best Regards, -John

5:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just wondering what kind of wear and tear do you have on your central block. I have the px4 and it seems that the metal on the central block where it sits in the groove of the barrel is being pushed forward. If you could send me pics of post some of your central block id appreciate it.

Thanks

2:39 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yes... It gets a polished look too. I have a Cougar that uses the same rotating barrel lock-up system and has a heck of a lot more rounds through it than my PX4. Just keep a dab of grease on the nub. I use militec lithium grease, but any will do.

I'll snap a pic of both blocks in the near future for you.

Thanks for the comment.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can gfet the Trijicon sitesfrom opticsplanet.net. Beretta must have learned about the tight mags because mine came with a speedloader tool. Absolutely love mine but I shoot low and left with it. Caused by being blind in my right eye but right handed. I am trying to find some adjustable sites but no luck yet.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home