Sunday, August 08, 2004

Workin Out or John can't lose weight

Some of you have been following my work out page and I’m glad to say that my blood pressure is dropping as predicted after two weeks of pretty stout cardio work outs. For whatever reason my BP bottom number (diastolic?) is normally higher in the morning than in the evening. This morning I was at 113/73 and last night I was about 116/68. My goal was to consistently stay below 125/75 and I have been checking for about 4 days now and I’ve been consistently below or at 123/73. I had been getting concerned because for the last few months I was seeing numbers like 130/85, but I knew my body would respond well to exercise so I started hitting the gym 5 days a week.

Have you been to the grocery store these days? It is full of low carb stuff and my wife went and stocked up on dumb-ass things like low carb chips, cookies, and candies. I think I’ve gained four pounds so far this weekend eating this “healthy” junk food. I pointed out to the wife that low carb does not make it healthy, it is still junk food and when it is in the house you still eat it as between meal snacks and you still gain weight. It’s calories in vs. calories out. If you eat between meal snacks, low carb or not, you will gain weight.

But back to the grocery store, the local Kroger has 2 or 3 aisles of this stuff. Low carb junk food and snacks. We are going on Atkins overload. I was in a meeting the other day with a slightly irritated customer (irritated at my company over some “issues”) and I was offered a piece of cake. I respond with thank you, but I’m on a diet. To which she responded, “well you know the Atkins diet can cause fits of uncontrollable anger, but don’t worry, I’m not on the Atkins diet”. Jeeze!!! I’d never heard this about Atkins, but I tend not to have uncontrollable fits of anger on or off of diets.

Anyway, one of my work-out goals was to lower my blood pressure that is done. Here are items that I know will lower my blood pressure and Heart Rate.

1. Exercise
2. Elimination of Refined Sugars. (I’ve been off of these for a number of years).

Oh and i've also gotten reather large at 5'10" and 195lbs. Not obese, but overweight. So far i have gain a few pounds working out, grrrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home