Saturday, July 24, 2004

Work Out!!!

Work Out!!!

A couple (ok maybe a few) years ago I was in pretty good shape. Worked out about 4 times a week, weight was down to 170lbs (I had lost about 40lbs) and I was skinny as a rail for the perhaps the first time since junior high school. At some point maybe one and a half to two years ago I stopped working out and have slowly gained most of the weight back. Kind of funny though, I don’t look as big as I did in the old days, but I’m up about a size and ½ in paints. About two months ago I had to pick up a pair of 38” waist pants and I said… whoaaaaa dude, you gotta lose some weight. Sot I started the Adkins diet.

I’m down to about 190 from 205 so I figure it’s time to start working out again. Today I read over at the Cryptic Subterranean web page that he is working out on a rowing machine and while I was already thinking about going back to the gym, his page pushed me over he edge and I went back today. This plus the fact that my better half started back at the gym about a month ago.

So what are my goals? Mostly Cardio related.

1. I want to get my blood pressure down to be consistently under 120 over 75. When I was working out before my blood pressure was consistently about 116 over 68 and now it is unmentionable in this forum.
2. I read somewhere once that if you burned over 2000 calories a week in the gym you could eat what ever you want. So 2000 calories per week at the gym after say 2 weeks of warm-up and getting used to going back.
3. After getting used to it again, number 2 above, 45 minutes of cardio and 15 to 20 minutes of weight training (weight training to include abs so time might have to be extended.

Obstacles
1. Time – I’ll have to make time. I used to go early in the morning, so maybe I can start doing that again.
2. My foot hurts. I have had since the beginning of May, a serious case of Plantar Faaciitas and my heel hurts like hell in the mornings. The doctor told me not exercise until it clears up, but I’m not willing to wait any longer. I’ve had two cortisone shots in my heel and have been on Steroids for it, but it has not healed. I think it is time to try the opposite route and exercise the darn thing. I honestly believe the stretching will help and while I will not be using the treadmill just yet, the elliptical trainers are great for cardio and easy on the feet and knees.

Today’s exercise log:

1. 5 minute fitness test on the treadmill, it rated me at a 40 and indicated above average fitness. Is the 40 saying I’m fit as a 40 year old? I’d like to get that down to 38 or so. I can remember a few years ago this same test had me at like 36 and indicated excellent fitness.
2. 30 minutes on a cross training elliptical machine. I burned about 420 calories doing this and with the other 50 or so, on the treadmill, makes for a good start, I think.
3. Spent another few minutes doing about 70 sit-ups on a sit-up bench. I know pretty lousy.

I think for the first week, I’ll limit myself to the above work out to “get back into it”.

Cryptic Sub – If you read this, you offered some advice on a routine, so feel free to alter or suggest something other than I what I’m doing. I’m just making this stuff up as I go. Keep in mind that I’m 42 years of age and a little overweight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay.Mac said...

Hi John,

Got a few ideas worked out for you- bit long for a comment so I'll post 'em to my site throughout today. Let me know what you think about them and I'm sure we can fine-tune a program for your needs.

5:11 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hello Mostly Cajun and thanks for the comments. I've tried a couple of the insert and the best ones by far have been a set called "power step". My doctor wants me to get custom inserts, but they cost about 400 bucks... you know how that goes.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home