Saturday, July 10, 2004

Range Report

Well I signed up for a level 1 defensive pistol course for next weekend so I decided to take my 9mm 8000L cougar to the range today for a little target practice. I’ve not shot this gun in a few months and I want to use it next weekend.

I only put 100 rounds down range, the Beretta cougar is a great gun though. Loaded up three mags, popped one in and the first double action shot was dead center. Second shot is single action and it was about three inches left. Hmm… Seemed to be the story all day. First shot double action, dead center, follow-ups always seemed to go left a little. I guess I can live with 2-3” groups at 10 yards though. I was not really taking my time and was shooting pretty fast. Maybe the instructor next weekend will help me figure out why i'm shooting a little left. As the norm with the Cougars, no failures of any type. I have two Cougars, the 9mm L type that i shot today and a mini 8045 in .45 cal. I had considered trading the L for a 92 variant of some type, but hey, i can use the same holsters with both cougars :) and that is a real plus. They also feel basically the same and have the same controls, but the 92's also use the same controls.

I’ve always wanted to do one of these classes, so I figured why not. The course will be two 8 hour days and cost $250.00. It is outlined for 800 to 1000 rounds of ammo and the range wants $150.00 for 1000 rounds. I’ll have to shop around over the next week for ammo. The instructor wants everyone to have a strong side holster (not iwb), but you can bring both. So i picked up a Glaco JAK Slide and a nylon mag holder and a new belt for another $92.00. So in all this class is going to end up costing about $500.00 bucks.

It ought to be a lot of fun though and i am really looking forward to going. Who knows maybe this will push me into doing the competition stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home