Friday, July 16, 2004

My 3ATis History

Well my Kel-Tec .3AT experience is over. I brought it back to the person I purchased if from yesterday morning. I’ve never returned a gun, hell, I almost never return anything, and he graciously gave me cash back instead of credit. I know, I know… I wish I had just taken credit so I would have $240.00 towards a new gun at some point. I had told my wife that I was taking it back and she was quick to say, “well, you can use that money to buy the ammo you need for the defensive shooting class”. I hate it when she has a good point. So I spent 100 bucks on 1000 rounds of Winchester 9mm and put $120.00 in my gun safe for safe keeping :). I was on the road this week so the other 20 bucks went to snacks and junk.

Back to the Kel-Tec – this is what I found. Don’t forget that I was only able to get about 25 rounds through it.

1. The trigger pin slipped down and caused the trigger not to go back far enough to drop the hammer.
2. Several Failures to Eject. Now I know the Kel-Tec’s are known for FTF’s and those are fixed by doing the infamous “Fluff and Buff”, but what do you do about failures to eject?
3. Corbon’s through this gun are painful. I’ve read people on the net say that can’t tell the difference between regular and +P ammo. Well just go get a Kel-Tec 3AT and try both target ammo and Corbon’s thought it. You’ll know the difference. My hand actually hurt after about 5 or six rounds.
4. The sights suck. My old eyes just could not line up these tiny sights. I have a Tomcat .32 that has no markings on the sights and I can shoot it straight, but the Kel-Tec was all over the place. The Tomcat seems to be more of a natural shooter.

Note: the Corbon ammo is marked 220 ft/lbs energy and the 3AT is rated to 250.

I’ll say again that I really like the idea of a small compact .380, but the Kel-Tec needs more meat to it. It is too light and small. Maybe if they gave it an alloy frame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home